Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Favorite Things: Reusable Tote Bags as Gift Bags

Last year, I was inspired by Oprah's "Favorite Things" to do a series of posts with some of my favorite food and cooking-related gift items.  Since the posts were pretty popular last year, I thought I'd continue the tradition.  Of course, I can't hand out free items like Oprah can, but hopefully I can inspire a few gifts for the foodies and entertainers in your life.  Enjoy!

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for a thoughtfully-wrapped gift.  If I had my way, the gifts under my Christmas Tree would be color coordinated in no more than three complementary wrapping papers with coordinated bows.  Alas, lots of people like the convenience of gift bags.  The problem with gift bags is that they're quite expensive and, for the most part, are bad for the environment (they usually can't be recycled).  Sure, you can try to reuse them, but I know I never seem to have one that's for the right holiday, is the right color, or the right size when I need it.

I recently received the holiday Oriental Trading catalog and ran across these reusable tote bags.  They're nearly identical to the ones sold at the grocery store except they have no logos on them.  At $30 for 50 bags, they're a fraction of the cost of paper gift bags and your friend or family member will be able to re-use them for shopping, re-gifting, or just about anything.  It's the gift that carries a gift!  I suppose if you're crafty, you could bedazzle them with fabric paint and other items and really dress them up and personalize them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. However, please be courteous of others when commenting. I always reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.