Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday Thoughts...

I apologize that my blog has been nothing but Friday Thoughts as of late.  We just finished our second week of daycare with the little one and it's been quite an adjustment of schedules for us all.

Thoughts for this week (I have only a few):
  • Last night, the wife and I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.  It's a very well-done documentary about a guy who decides to do a 60-day fast, eating only veggie and fruit juices to correct a number of ailments and lose weight.  Along the way, he encounters a morbidly obese truck driver who also tries the regimen and experiences a complete life turnaround.  While I'm not a huge fan of so-called "cleansing diets," or raw food diets, the film was a great learning experience and illustrates the importance of having a high concentration of produce in your diet (something Mark Bittman and Michael Pollan have been telling us for years).  I highly recommend the film.  There's something for everyone in it.
  • I'm always in awe when someone can take an item that nature gave us and make something wonderful from it without any major processing or changes.  I was reminded of this project from The Yarn Harlot just today (it's from a few months back).  She started with wool from a sheep and ended-up with a beautiful graduated shall--all without any dye.  She simply took the time to separate the natural colors of the original fleece.
  • I think I posted awhile back about Jessie from the blog Rurally Screwed and how she and her deployed military husband Jake were trying to get a stray dog he had adopted home safely from Afghanistan.  I'm happy to share that Solha (the dog) is on her way.  What a nice story...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. However, please be courteous of others when commenting. I always reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.