Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Thoughts - Happy 100th Birthday, Julia! (Belated)

I promise you I have a ton of topics saved-up but I just haven't been able to sit down and put pen to paper.  In the mean time, I'll offer you a specially themed Friday Thoughts in honor of Julia Child, who's 100th birthday would have been this past Wednesday.  Julia has always inspired me since I was a child, as I know she has so many others for a few generations.
  • If you should ever have the opportunity to visit The Smithsonian's Museum of American History, don't forget to stop by the exhibit about Julia.  When she sold her long-time home in Cambridge, Massachusetts to "retire" to California, her entire kitchen was donated to the Smithsonian.  It was painstakingly taken apart piece by small piece and reassembled in Washington, DC.  I had the opportunity to visit it once and it was a fun experience.
  • America's Test Kitchen Radio recently did a tribute show to Julia.  Christopher Kimball, the host of the show and founder of ATK knew Julia personally and she even made a trip or two to the test kitchen.  As many of you know, I worked for ATK for a time and I remember running across a digital photo of Chris and Julia standing at the counter in the test kitchen.  I wish I had tucked it aside...
  • PBS has posted a number of Julia's Cooking With Master Chefs episodes for you to view online.
  • Even the White House chefs have posted their own tribute.
  • PBS released this really fun auto-tuned remix/montage of Julia.  Think of it like Julia meets MTV.  :-)  There's also one with Mr. Rogers and another with Bob Ross.
  • What an awesome Pinterest board with lots of neat photos of Julia throughout the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. However, please be courteous of others when commenting. I always reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.