Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Quick Weeknight Meal: Eggs over Greens

A funny thing happened shortly after we had our first child.  Eggs for Dinner went into weekly rotation.  I'm not just talking about Breakfast for Dinner either.  Eggs are a quick and easy protein and more flexible than just about any meat you can put on your plate.  They're also incredibly cheap.

There are dozens of ways to do dinner eggs.  There's Eggs in Purgatory (simmered in tomato sauce), Eggs over Asparagus, Fritatta, Filled Omelettes, Eggs Benedict, Eggs en Cocotte...the list goes on and on.  But one of my favorites is Eggs over Greens.  In particular, I like to poach or fry them so that the yolk is thick and creamy but still runny and place them over a salad or bed of greens dressed with a vinegary dressing.  When you break into the egg yolk, it runs onto the greens and becomes part of the dressing.

I won't bother with a recipe here, but I will make some recommendations:
  • Try this brilliant way to make poached eggs.  Almost no strings, guaranteed!  There's a video here.  If you're as excited about this as me, watch Kenji do 18 eggs at once using the same method.
  • Make your own Italian Salad Dressing with this recipe.  I recently discovered that you can add a few tablespoons of sour cream to it and make a Creamy Italian Dressing.  Also, it doesn't separate as easily.
  • Try my recipe for Dressing Made from Your Favorite Jam
  • Add some interesting grated cheese to your salad
  • Serve with a side of Cheesy Toast
  • Experiment with different greens.  I like to add a handful of baby spinach or arugula.  Chopped pickled veggies also make a great addition.
  • If you're feeling like you need a little more protein, add a scoop of plain solid white albacore tuna or some boneless skinless sardines packed in oil (which actually taste milder and sweeter than tuna).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. However, please be courteous of others when commenting. I always reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.