Saturday, July 14, 2018

My Sewing Journey, Part II - Another Dress

As mentioned in my previous post, I've been on a journey to teach myself to sew.  The last project you saw was a simple dress that I made for my daughter from a commercial pattern.

The next project was a tad more difficult.  It was another dress, but one that included a curved bib around the neck, a zipper that is installed AFTER dress construction (no small feat), two different fabrics, gathering, and an underskirt/petticoat.



It was a heck of a challenge and Burda is not known for having the most detailed instructions, but nonetheless, I'm pleased with the results and so is my daughter.


 (Google Photos actually offered me that artsy pop-color print, so why not!)



Alicia (the doll) does not have a matching dress, but I did order a bunch of plain white headbands and whipped-up a quick matching headband with some strips of leftover fabric.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this dress turned-out.  There are a couple of small flaws that I can see, but your average person won't notice them.  Also, this pattern has some flaws in the bodice construction, in my opinion.  I probably won't be making it as-is again, but I like the silhouette and might re-use the pattern pieces to make a simpler sun dress.

(Listen to me, I'm sounding like an accomplished sewist.)

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth be told, one may discover things on the web or at retail locations that don't appear as though vintage anything from the outset however might be modified somehow or another that would cause it to have that vintage feel to it. Babykleertjes 

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have all kinds, from electronic machines to computerized machines that you can test. www.justsewingthings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the best things about this model is its computerized feature, which can significantly save a lot of time. It includes an LCD screen and displays easy stitch settings. It also includes auto-drop-in bobbin for easier use.Beginner Sewing Machine

    ReplyDelete
  5. but it provides a good practice run for a more advanced project. Once you finished your trial sweater pick the weight that your pattern suggests and try again. raggsockor baby beskrivning

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand everything began when I was a kid experiencing childhood in my mom's clothing shopaholic world. So let me share my youth story with you: Bridal and Wedding Lingerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the best information and suggestions, it is very nice and very useful to us. I appreciate the work that you have shared in this post. Keep sharing these types of articles here. wedding lingerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress is a delightful full length trim bodice style, that is likely more like an evening outfit. It accompanies a long sleeved ribbon coat that hits at the midsection, and it sets with the dress richly. putas en barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wearing a story length dress, or a tail dress shows class and polish. Tattle Girl, Blake Lively realizes how to get individuals discussing her fashionista routes in her Steel Blue, Jewel encrusted strapless dress.putas en madrid

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments. However, please be courteous of others when commenting. I always reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.