Monday, April 16, 2012

Recipe: Sweet Tomato Vinaigrette

Last summer, as I was processing pounds and pounds of Grade B tomatoes, I decided to try this recipe for tomato jam.  It as so absolutely delicious that we blew through the first batch in about a week, slathering it on everything in sight (and dipping french fries into it).  Not wanting to be without for the winter and knowing it'd make great holiday gifts, I whipped-up a triple batch and stashed it in the canning cupboard.

Fast-forward to Easter Sunday.  My parents arrived to dinner with a delicious tossed salad but had forgotten to pick-up extra dressings to go with it.  As I'm oft to do when I need a quick homemade salad dressing, I opened-up the jam cupboard to see what I had.  Spotting the surplus of tomato jam, a bell went off in my head.  That just might taste great.

It was delicious!  Thought I'd share it with you today.  Incidentally, this technique works great with pretty much any jam, but you may need to use more or less vinegar depending on the sweetness of the jam and your personal tastes.

Sweet Tomato Vinaigrette
2 parts tomato jam
1 part white wine vinegar
1 part olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of ground black pepper

1) If the jam is set firm, add a little water and melt it for 30-60 seconds on high in the microwave.
2) Place all ingredients into a mason jar.
3) Close the jar and shake vigorously.
4) Serve tossed with a beautiful garden green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. However, please be courteous of others when commenting. I always reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.