Saturday, October 19, 2013

We Grew Popcorn!!!

Hey folks!  I know I've been away from the blog awhile and to be honest with you, I have no good excuse except: Because Toddler.  That's an excuse, right?  If The Bloggess can use "Because Wine" as an answer to anything and everything, then certainly I can use "Because Toddler."  Anyway, on to cool stuff...

My first order of business now that I've returned to The Interwebs is to show you something cool we did in the workplace garden this year.  You remember the workplace garden from last year, right?  Well, this year, we doubled the size, got ourselves a small budget from the boss, and put some really interesting things in there like brussells sprouts, hot peppers, eggplant, and at least 4 varieties of tomatoes.  But that's not the coolest thing we grew.  The coolest thing we grew was...

Popcorn!!!


Yes, I realize that looks like Indian Corn (the decorative stuff people buy to put on their front doors and porches), but really and truly...it's popcorn.  See?  We popped it!


By the way, if you're gong to pop a whole ear of corn on the cob in the microwave, you should probably put it in a paper bag first.  Don't ask me how I know that...  And no, it wasn't me.

We actually planted only two varieties:  A "strawberry" red variety and a plain old yellow variety.  However, corn cross-pollinates as it grows and the two varieties planted in such close proximity produced all the colors you see in the photo above.  Pretty cool, huh?  Of course, it all pops-up into white fluffy stuff that's much tastier than commercially available popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. However, please be courteous of others when commenting. I always reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.