Saturday, December 10, 2016

My Favorite Things: Dashboard Mount for Phone

Back in 2011, I was inspired by Oprah's "Favorite Things" episode to do my own version highlighting some of my favorite kitchen and cooking-related items that make great gifts during the holdays.  This year, I've decided to expand the idea to include some general household and organizing items that I find useful or indispensable.  Happy Holidays!


Today's favorite thing is the iOttie Car Mount Holder for Smartphones.



I have an older vehicle that is equipped with a USB port to play music through the radio but it doesn't handle other smartphone functions like voice dialing and GPS the way modern bluetooth-enabled cars do.

Enter the iOttie dash-mount.  This is a great little gadget.  It comes with a crank-to-tighten suction cup that's assisted by a washable reusable sticky membrane so that it adheres even to the most textured dashboards without damaging it (aside from possible fade spots).  It can also be mounted from the windshield as shown.  It has spring-loaded clips that let you snap your phone in quickly and be on your way.  The arm is adjustable in several directions to accommodate different angled dashes that are close or far away from the driver.

I have this installed in my Honda Fit, which has an awkwardly shaped dash.  When I get in, I snap my phone into the mount, plug-in the USB cable, and head off on my way.  Since it's an iPhone, I can use the hands-free "Hey, Siri," feature to dial, ask for GPS directions, send or have text messages read to me, and use it as a speaker phone.  It's close enough to my face that I can hear the caller through the phone's speaker and the microphone can pick-up my voice beautifully.  No extra gadgets!

I highly recommend everyone have one of these, even if you have a bluetooth-enabled car.  It's a great low-tech way to get some hands-free features out of your phone and keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road.

Disclaimer:  All opinions on these products are my own and I've purchased these items myself or received them as gifts from friends and family.  I don't even receive a kickback from Amazon for the links, so feel free to buy from your favorite local kitchen supplier.  They'll appreciate the business!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments. However, please be courteous of others when commenting. I always reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.